Wednesday 16 February 2011

Religious Experience With the Wind

I never really understood how Kathy in Wuthering Heights could be so in love with the smell and sound of the wind off the moors, but after a change in weather whilst on a walk, I can truly know how she felt.

After parting company with m flatmate after a brief wander through Stirling, the weather turned and became rainy. The wind, of course, came with it. And while walking down through the old, grey, winding streets of cobbled stone that is m home for the next few months, I realized one thing by watching the locals. Umbrellas are totall useless here. As soon as you open one here the wind turns it inside out in a heartbeat. Hence why no one really uses one lest they be a tourist.

I soon tucked the damned brelli away in a frustrated mood as I was now going to get soaked and cold. However, after hopping on the bus and getting off on campus, the walk back to my flat caught me off guard. The wet wind came sweeping down off the highlands behind my flat and hit me like nothing else. It was like having a religious revelation, like walking into a breathtaking cathedral for the first time. I couldn't believe it. It was incredible. Truly, something divine must have fashioned and gave shape to this land, a land which inspires moments of the purest awe in just a gust of wind. Kathy - I now know what I once did not. A taste of the wind off the moors is all it takes. I'm hooked.

The weekend is all lined up for a three day trip that includes Inverness, Loch Ness, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe (and another I cannot remember), Fort William, Eliean Donnan Castle, Macdonald Fort, and Edinburgh. I'm looking forward to having some soul stirring moments at all of these places. I just can't believe how few days I've been here and all the things I've already seen...

Stirling, Bridge of Allan, Stirling Bridge, Bannockburn, Stirling Castle, Dunblane/Dunblane Cathedral, Glasgow. I only hope this furious pace of seeing historical places and beautiful lands continous into my semester all the way until I jet out on June 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment