Sunday 13 February 2011

First Impressions

Day One and Two...

Arriving here in Scotland was one of the single most exciting times in my life. I mean, way up there in terms of incredible happenings. It was that feeling of relief - "I'm finally here" hardly describes it. It's like achieving something I once thought may have been impossible. But here I am, bloggin away in my flat after a lovely night cooking, hiking and talking with my flatmates.

I had a moment waking up this morning where I thought: "My God, what the hell am I doing here?!" and a brief moment of saddened panic. But then I got down to my routine - showered, did make up while watching a film on my laptop, getting dressed, and decided to head out to the Uni's shop to get some groceries. Don't get me wrong, the night I arrived (last night) my flatmates were fantastic - we went to a pub and watched a Rugby match, Aton cooked a lamb leg for dinner from his uncle's farm (where else would that happen?!) and they showed me around a bit to get my bearings. This moment of utter saddness hit me out of nowhere - I couldn't put my finger on it.

But, have no fear readers, this blogger found everything could be solved by simply stepping out the door. Today I went alone to the campus shop, and as soon as I saw the highland landscape, the Wallace Monument framed in a halo of sun against grey sky, the castle brilliantly lit with golden light, swans walking along the path and the fresh, damp air...I told that feeling to "piss off". The walk did wonders. And my flatmates did even more. Halfway to the store, they called me and asked if I'd like to go on a hike in the ridges behind the flat. How could I resist?

The way was steep - but everyone was helping one another, guys watching out for the girls, girls helping each other and so on. The little saddness left from the morning completely disappeared as a mossy stone wall, crumbling with wooden fence in the gaps, appeared ahead and beyond was a craggy clearing of a golden hue filled with highland sheep. It was so pretty I can't even give it justice. We hiked out onto a one lane road, and from there the wilderness opened up before us, all rust colored and twisted trees on ridges and sweeping valleys. A gurgling stream ran beside the road, which just set the scene as we hiked on pact sundown. I couldn't stop oozing over the beautiful country that is Scotland - hope the flatmates get used to that, because I don't think I'll ever get over it.

I can't think of a better place to be, or a place that's made me fall this far in love already. The people are wonderful - and yes, all Scottish men sing and play guitar, this is not just a stereotype. They may not sing well, or play the guitar well, but they do both in varying degrees of proficeincy. :-P My flatmates are lovely, the guys are kind as can be, and a bit sassy too, which is appreciated by me. (Wonder where that comes from? ;-D )

I look at it this way - I'm in Uni at La Crosse for four months out of the year, and the last two semesters I really didn't go home much. So how different is going to Uni here for a bit over three and not going home, but having my parents come here at the end of term? Sure, its a couple thousand miles away, but there's ways of getting in touch. I have a feeling I'm going to be just fine come tomorrow morning. The prospect of a possible trip to the Isle of Skye or the Highlands this weekend is definately going to keep my spirits high. As are the other trips with my flatmates in the works - a Rugby match in Edinburgh, a weekend in York, Lincoln and Nottingham, a day in Bath and Cardiff, a trip to Loch Ness and Inverness, trips to Edinburgh and Glasgow, a weekend in London, hikes in the Highlands and Trossachs.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good semester...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment